Dear Odd Fellows and Pledges,
1. St. Patrick’s Day Dinner and Pub Quiz. Join us at the annual St. Patrick’s Dinner and Pub Quiz on Thursday March 17. Doors open at 5:30 pm with dinner around 6 pm. RSVPs are required, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The price is $11 with includes dinner of corned beef and cabbage and potatoes and carrots. Beverages including beer and wine are included. Bring a dessert to share if you wish. Club Night will be canceled.
2. Team BaldFellows. Team BaldFellows braved the shave at de Vere’s Irish Pub on March 10th and raised $3,860 for St. Baldrick’s funding for pediatric cancer research. Sunday Bingo on March 13th also supported Team BaldFellows and added an extra $312 for a current total of $4172. Overall the 6 teams of de Vere’s St. Baldrick’s event raised $20,039! Thank you to our now hairless participants, Stewart Savage, Kathryn Hemness, Lewis Kimble, Joel Mandel, and Jean-Paul Montreuil!
3. Chocolate Festival Committee. The Odd Fellows Chocolate Festival Committee will meet in the Committee Room on Monday, April 4th, at 6 p.m. Any member who is interested in organizing the inaugural Davis Chocolate Festival (planned for November 6) is invited to attend and join the committee in planning this fun event. If you need more information, contact Dave Rosenberg at email@example.com.
4. Davis Odd Fellows Event Calendar. Vice Grand Stewart Savage has upgraded the event calendar on our Davis Lodge website. Google users can add it to their own calendars and everyone can check it out here: http://davislodge.org/event-calendar/
5. Meditation Committee. The next meeting of the Meditation Committee will be March 20, in the lower hall of the lodge. Meetings are scheduled for the 1st and 3rd Sunday afternoons from 4 to 5 p.m. Locations may vary.
6. Children’s Concert with Ed Lewis. Thanks to Ed for a delightful event! On March 12th, the Odd Theatre Committee with Ed Lewis put on an entertaining Children’s Concert. An ecstatic crowd of 60 adults and 40 children had an awesome time of puppetry, singing and dancing! Another Concert is planned for May.
7. Three Degree Night. Last Tuesday, March 8, seven members of Davis Lodge #169 earned their Three Degrees. David Cougevan, David Siegel, Merrie Lee, Richard Watson, Marna Ghiglieri, Paul Ghiglieri, and David Hungerford. Congratulations!
8. Take a Hike Committee. Next hike is March 20th, at Rockville Hills Regional Park. Meet at Big 5 parking lot to leave at 8:30 p.m.
9. *CHANGE* Odd Fellows Book Club. The first book for the Odd Fellows Book Club is Where the Dead Pause, and the Japanese Say Goodbye: A Journey, by Marie Mutsuki Mockett. The book club will meet to discuss the book on Tuesday April 5th at 6 p.m. For questions, send an email to Heather Barnes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. Taste of Davis. Tickets go on sale starting Thursday, March 24, for the Seventh Annual “A Taste of Davis”. This event features over 20 Yolo County restaurants, caterers, wineries, breweries, dessert and coffee houses, all under one roof. Guests are free to sample any and all of the food and drink from these purveyors for one low admission price. Tickets are available to the general public at $20 per person and can be obtained from two local vendors: Avid Reader Active in Downtown Davis or Common Grounds in South Davis. Tickets will also be available for purchase on-line starting at 12 noon on March 24 at www.tasteofdavis.eventbrite.com.
11. Odd Theatre Committee. The next trip to B St. Theater is on April 9th. The show will be “A Masterpiece of Comic… Timing”. https://bstreettheatre.org/a-masterpiece-of-comic-timing/ The show starts at 5 p.m. and dinner will follow at Vincent’s Italian Restaurant in West Sacramento. Cost is $30 for a ticket, dinner is separate. If you would like to attend, please RSVP with your payment to Ed Lewis as soon as possible before March 19th. Email email@example.com for more information. The next Odd Theatre Committee meeting is March 22nd at the home of Mary Superak.
12. 4th Tuesday Matinee Group. Keep an eye out for the next Matinee details for March 22nd. Anyone can come to any movie–there’s no RSVPs or expectations. We will discuss the movie after it’s over at the lodge committee room. If you’d like to be on the email list to receive notices of this group every month, please email Diane Steele at firstname.lastname@example.org. See you at the movies!
13. Grand Lodge Sessions. The Grand Lodge meets in Modesto for four days starting May 11th. Any three degree member who wishes to attend, will need to fill out the registration form, and bring their membership card showing they are fully paid through December 31, 2016. More details and the registration form can be found here: http://caioof.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/January2016Mailing.pdf
14. Odd Balls. From Bowling Bob: 15 Odd Fellows/pledges made up the Odd Balls group on March 5th. Bowling has become a wonderful venue to share fellowship. Scores ranged from 66 to 299. That’s right. Our own Tony Pruitt kept bowling strikes and had quite an audience as he went into the 10th frame. He left one pin standing in the final frame to end with a 289. For those of you who are not bowlers, 300 is a perfect game. Most of us stayed for lunch to continue our conversations. The next date for bowling will be Saturday April 2 from 11am – 2pm. Bowling is open to all Odd Fellows and pledges
15. Odd Fellows of Davis CA #169 Facebook. Please join our closed Facebook group to share the latest events and trends in all things Odd Fellows! Simply search in Facebook for the page name “Odd Fellows of Davis CA #169” then click Join Group.
16. Academic Scholarship Committee Deadline: April 15th. Visit http://davislodge.org/lodge-documents/ for more information and the application, under the heading “Davis Odd Fellows Lodge Scholarship.
17. Picnic Day Float. The Picnic Day Float Committee would like to encourage all committees to make signs and join the float on April 16th.
18. Yolo Healthy Aging Alliance. On April 3rd from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., there will be a Yolo Healthy Aging Alliance Fundraiser, co-sponsored by our Community Support Committee. For more information visit http://yolohealthyaging.org/
19. The Davis Rebekahs Present: Bollywood Night! The Davis Rebekahs are hosting a Bollywood fundraiser, happening April 2nd, 2016 at our Davis lodge at 7:00 p.m.! To purchase tickets or for more information please visit their Eventbrite page: https://davisrebekahbollywood.eventbrite.com
20. Golf Committee. The following Odd Golfers have expressed interest in playing: Charles Filmer, John Knotts, Greg Simmons, David Hafter, Chuck White, and Darrell Pereira. Please let Charles know if you wish to be added to the list of players to be notified of activities (email@example.com). Initially, we have scheduled the very odd time of the Wednesday afternoon before the third Thursday of each month to play a round of golf. Other dates and activities (group lessons, driving range, etc) can be proposed.
21. 1000 Mentors for Youth Committee. A new committee has been formed to help youth of all ages access opportunities and reach their potential through connecting with mentors in a variety of situations. For example, Ed Lewis volunteers with the Writing Buddies program that teaches mentors how to help children improve their writing skills. If you are interested, please contact Ed Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org.