Dear Odd Fellows and Pledges,
1. Movie Matinee Committee Launches Tomorrow. Diane Steele is organizing a “4th Tuesday Matinee Committee” for members and pledges and friends interested in catching a matinee at a Davis movie theater. After the show, participants may gather at a local coffee house, or the new club room at the Lodge, to chat about the film. This new committee launches on Tuesday, January 26, 2016. Contact Diane for details and logistics at email@example.com.
2. Theatre Trip. CHANGE: There is a change of venue. We are going to the California Stage Theatre to see a comedy, Happy Armenians, that had a long run in Los Angeles with great revues and the entire cast is here in Sacramento. The cost is only $12 per person for the group rate so Ed owes some of you money unless you want to donate it to the Ed Lewis “TAKE A TRIP TO TAHITI FUND”. B St. Theatre has fantastic shows but this Echo Location is a “Dark Comedy” and the Theatre Committee wanted to begin with a more light -hearted play.
This does change the time schedule as follows:
5:15 – Meet at the lodge for carpooling unless you live in Sacramento.
5:30-Drive to the Sphaghetti Factory in Sacramento at 1910 J St.
6:00-Dinner reserved for 26 people at a long table. We have to pay 1 bill with an 18 percent gratuity. Ed will pay and you can just have cash to give him. Figure you will probably have a meal for $9-16 per person plus the gratuity plus drinks/desert if you add that. You can go online and look at a menu if you want a better estimate. Otherwise just bring 100’s of dollars in small bills in case you also want to tip Ed!!!!
8:00-California Stage Theatre at 2509 R St.
3. Committee Room. The Committee Room is open for use! There is a sign up calendar on the back of the door. To use the room, simply put your meeting on the calendar.
4. Take a Hike Committee. The next planned hike will be Wildcat Canyon on Sunday January 31. We did this hike last spring. We will leave the Big 5 parking lot at 8:30 am. A web address with a description of the hike is below.
Here is what to expect:
Distance, category, and difficulty:
This 6 mile loop hike is moderate, with a few short steep sections. Trailhead elevation is about 180 feet. The featured hike climbs to about 1057 feet, wobbles up and down along the ridgeline, then descends back to the trailhead. According to the GPS, total elevation change for this hike is about 1200 feet.
Full sun throughout.
One paved fire road, the rest dirt fire roads.
2 1/2 hours
The trailhead is located off Interstate 80 about 10 miles west of the Vallejo bridge at Exit 17 (McBryde Avenue).
We will probably stop in Crockett for lunch afterward.
Hope you can join us.
5. Team Baldfellows Fight Cancer. Team BaldFellows is blasting the hairy roof off the competition in the de Vere’s St. Baldrick’s Event! Our team is currently #1 in fundraising and Sister Kathryn Hemness is the Top Participant of all de Vere’s teams! We are always welcoming our brothers and sisters to join our team to “brave the shave!” Our Lodge has organized a team of Odd Fellows, family, and friends to participate in the St. Baldrick’s head shaving fundraiser at de Vere’s Irish Pub on March 10, 2016, from 5:00pm to 9:00pm.
Worldwide, 175,000 children are diagnosed with cancer each year. The St. Baldrick’s head-shaving fundraiser helps support pediatric cancer research for infants, children, teens, and young adults. The Davis Odd Fellows Lodge and our team of “soon to be bald” volunteers can make a difference. Kids can’t fight cancer alone. Please join Team Baldfellows.
Send Vice Grand Stewart Savage an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
6. The Davis Enterprise Readers’ Choice Award. The Davis Enterprise does a poll every year called Readers’ Choice where you vote for the best people, shops, businesses, etc. Category #114 is “Best Venue to Hold an Event in Yolo County”. People can vote with a hard copy from the paper, or on line www.davisenterprise.com/readers-choice-2016. You must vote for at least 20 categories for your entry to be valid. Deadline is January 29 at noon. Please, vote for Davis Odd Fellows Lodge Hall for “Best Venue to Hold an Event in Yolo County.” We won this category for 2015!
7. Sponsor Taste of Davis. The Taste of Davis Committee cordially invites you to consider being listed as a Sponsor of the 2016 “Taste of Davis” – the biggest social event of the year. Hundreds of folks come to the Lodge to sample good food, wine, beer and desserts from some of our best local vendors. Everyone has a great time, and sponsors are well recognized before, during and after the Taste of Davis. It is a signature event for our Lodge, and raises a lot of money to help the Lodge do it’s good works in the community. Plus, we will be providing a check for $1,000 to the Elderly Nutrition Program. It’s a win-win-win, and we hope you will consider being a part of it as a sponsor. To participate in sponsoring, please contact Lea Rosenberg – (530) 756-0697 or e-mail: email@example.com. Taste of Davis will be April 28, 2016.
8. The Davis Rebekahs Present: Bollywood Night! Do you like to give back to your community? Do you like to dance? Do you love the fun, flare and excitement of Bollywood music? Well do we have an event for you!! The Davis Rebekahs are hosting a Bollywood fundraiser, happening April 2nd, 2016 at our Davis lodge at 7:00PM! A wonderful Indian inspired cuisine will be provided included with price of ticket, and beer and wine will be available for sale at the bar. They will also have a raffle for great prizes! This Bollywood event will be lead by sensational Bollywood performer Prashant Kakad and his team! They will teach you the moves to Bollywood dance-see his video here: https://youtu.be/QCPC5h-tu60
This event will benefit the Rebekah Children’s Services Home who provides support for foster care and adoption needs of children and families. Your ticket purchase will count as a donation to this cause, with ALL proceeds going to the Rebekah Children’s Services Home.
To purchase tickets or for more information please visit our Eventbrite page: https://davisrebekahbollywood.eventbrite.com
When: Saturday, April 2, 2016 from 7:00 PM to 11:30 PM
Where: 415 2nd St – 415 2nd Street Davis, CA 95616
So who are we? The Davis Rebekahs are a social and fraternal organization that raises funds to support our community’s needs. We advocate for local charitable organizations, raise awareness and take action for those in need such as foster and emancipated youth, the elderly, the ill and in distress, and the socioeconomically disadvantaged.
Want to get involved and volunteer? Have a local cause that could use our support? Contact us here or on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/davisrebekahs/
9. Club Night at the Lodge This Thursday. Club Night at the Lodge- every Thursday from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Lodge, Lower Hall. A great social time for members, pledges and guests. Back by popular demand: PIZZA NIGHT! $2 a slice. Trivia Night at the Lodge with Trivia Master Lea Rosenberg. Three quick rounds of 10 questions each, with prizes for the winners! Also, enjoy the big screen TV, the full bar, puzzles and table games, and socializing with members and guests. Presented by the Good Fellowship Committee.
10. Davis Odd Fellows Charities, Inc. Educational Scholarships. Deadline: March 1, 2016. One of the ancient admonitions of Odd Fellowship is to “educate the orphan”. In accordance of that worthy goal, the family of Triffle P. and Annie G. Ivancovic have made a generous financial contribution to establish a charitable fund called Davis Odd Fellows Charities, Inc., a 501 (c) (3) corporation, to operate a scholarship program for the benefit of orphans and young men and women who grew up in the foster care system. There are stringent requirements to qualify, but the fund is available for applicants from California and throughout the United States. Scholarships can be awarded in the range of $5,000 to $10,000. All eligibility and award decisions are made at the sole discretion of the corporation board of directors.
To apply for a scholarship, there are two forms to fill out. The forms are found here: http://davislodge.org/lodge-documents/. There is a nomination form – any Odd Fellow or Rebekah in good standing may nominate a worthy and eligible candidate. And there is a simple application form to be completed by the young man or woman applying for the funds.
The forms lay out the eligibility requirements for scholarships. Nominees must be orphans or foster youth, must be at least 18 years of age at the time they enter college/university, must be U.S. citizens, must have attained at least a B+ average upon high school graduation, and must be accepted to an accredited college/university or a legitimate junior college and entering as a freshman. If you know of a worthy and qualified candidate, you should follow up.
11. Odd Fellows Classic Film Committee Continues. We had a great time and a full house for our screening of Topper! Be sure to make it out this coming Sunday for Brining Up Baby.
The Odd Fellows Classic Film Committee has scheduled the next series of classic films, at screenings open to the public. Movie reviewer and critic Derrick Bang will give you the back-story for each film. The next series will screen classic Hollywood screwball comedies, featuring Cary Grant: Topper, Bringing Up Baby, and His Girl Friday. Reserve the dates, all Sunday evenings: January 24 (Topper), January 31 (Bringing Up Baby), and February 7 (His Girl Friday). Doors open each Sunday at 6:29 p.m. and the film starts rolling at 7:01 p.m. (odd times, of course). The shows are all free of charge and open to all ages. Donations are welcome. We also feature a full no-host bar for your pleasure. Popcorn is free and plentiful.
12. Odd Bowling Rolls Again on February 6. Bob Dovi, Chair of the Odd Bowling Committee, has set up the net bowling excursion. It will be Saturday, February 6, from 11 to 2 at the Capital Lanes in West Sacramento. Last bowling excursion attracted a lot of Odd Fellows, Pledges and guests. We have one bowler (Tony Pruitt) who bowled a 299! But we have plenty of bowlers who operate at a much lower level – in the 110 to 150 range. Contact Bob if you are interested at firstname.lastname@example.org.
13. Golfers, Please Note. The Lodge has an Odd Golfing Committee, and it’s looking to set up some foursomes in the near future. For more information, or to sign up as part of the Odd Golfing Committee, contact Charles Filmer at email@example.com.
14. 2016 Lodge Dues are Now Due. Annual dues to be an Odd Fellow are a reasonable $55. 2016 dues are now due to the Financial Secretary Duff Devine. Checks should be payable to “Davis Odd Fellows”. You mail drop your check in Duff’s Lodge mailbox (near the back door) or mail to Financial Secretary Duff Devine, Davis Odd Fellows Lodge, 415 2nd Street, Davis CA 95616. There is also a new option to pay via PayPal! Visit http://davislodge.org/membership-renewal/ to pay online. Be sure to include your name as part of the PayPal order. And thank you! In 2015 we were 100% paid up. Let’s do it again in 2016.