Dear Odd Fellows and Pledges,
1. The Davis Enterprise Readers’ Choice Award. The Davis Enterprise does a poll every year called Readers’ Choice where you vote for the best people, shops, businesses, etc. Category #114 is “Best Venue to Hold an Event in Yolo County”. People can vote with a hard copy from the paper, or on line www.davisenterprise.com/readers-choice-2016. You must vote for at least 20 categories for your entry to be valid. Deadline is January 29 at noon. Please, vote for Davis Odd Fellows Lodge Hall for “Best Venue to Hold an Event in Yolo County.” We won this category for 2015!
2. Sponsor Taste of Davis. The Taste of Davis Committee cordially invites you to consider being listed as a Sponsor of the 2016 “Taste of Davis” – the biggest social event of the year. Hundreds of folks come to the Lodge to sample good food, wine, beer and desserts from some of our best local vendors. Everyone has a great time, and sponsors are well recognized before, during and after the Taste of Davis. It is a signature event for our Lodge, and raises a lot of money to help the Lodge do it’s good works in the community. Plus, we will be providing a check for $1,000 to the Elderly Nutrition Program. It’s a win-win-win, and we hope you will consider being a part of it as a sponsor. To participate in sponsoring, please contact Lea Rosenberg – (530) 756-0697 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Taste of Davis will be April 28, 2016.
3. The Davis Rebekahs Present: Bollywood Night! Do you like to give back to your community? Do you like to dance? Do you love the fun, flare and excitement of Bollywood music? Well do we have an event for you!! The Davis Rebekahs are hosting a Bollywood fundraiser, happening April 2nd, 2016 at our Davis lodge at 7:00PM! A wonderful Indian inspired cuisine will be provided included with price of ticket, and beer and wine will be available for sale at the bar. They will also have a raffle for great prizes! This Bollywood event will be lead by sensational Bollywood performer Prashant Kakad and his team! They will teach you the moves to Bollywood dance-see his video here: https://youtu.be/QCPC5h-tu60
This event will benefit the Rebekah Children’s Services Home who provides support for foster care and adoption needs of children and families. Your ticket purchase will count as a donation to this cause, with ALL proceeds going to the Rebekah Children’s Services Home.
To purchase tickets or for more information please visit our Eventbrite page: https://davisrebekahbollywood.eventbrite.com
When: Saturday, April 2, 2016 from 7:00 PM to 11:30 PM
Where: 415 2nd St – 415 2nd Street Davis, CA 95616
So who are we? The Davis Rebekahs are a social and fraternal organization that raises funds to support our community’s needs. We advocate for local charitable organizations, raise awareness and take action for those in need such as foster and emancipated youth, the elderly, the ill and in distress, and the socioeconomically disadvantaged.
Want to get involved and volunteer? Have a local cause that could use our support? Contact us here or on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/davisrebekahs/
4. Odd Theatre Committee Presents: Improv Night. The Odd Theatre Committee would like to invite you to Improv Night at the Lodge! Come and probe your theatrical abilities with us! Games, libations, and an all around fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants good time! 6:00 PM, January 20, 2016 in the Lower Hall. Open to Odd Fellow Members, Pledges, Guests- Those Courageous Enough to Brave the Stage, and Those Shy Enough to Sit Back and Laugh.
5. Club Night at the Lodge This Thursday. Club Night at the Lodge- every Thursday from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Lodge, Lower Hall. A great social time for members, pledges and guests. Panko-Crusted Chicken, topped with Marinara Sauce, Cheese Ravioli, Salad and Garlic Bread for $7 a plate for those who wish to have dinner at the Lodge. Also, enjoy the big screen TV, the full bar, puzzles and table games, and socializing with members and guests. Presented by the Good Fellowship Committee.
6. Davis Odd Fellows Charities, Inc. Educational Scholarships. One of the ancient admonitions of Odd Fellowship is to “educate the orphan”. In accordance of that worthy goal, the family of Triffle P. and Annie G. Ivancovic have made a generous financial contribution to establish a charitable fund called Davis Odd Fellows Charities, Inc., a 501 (c) (3) corporation, to operate a scholarship program for the benefit of orphans and young men and women who grew up in the foster care system. There are stringent requirements to qualify, but the fund is available for applicants from California and throughout the United States. Scholarships can be awarded in the range of $5,000 to $10,000. All eligibility and award decisions are made at the sole discretion of the corporation board of directors.
To apply for a scholarship, there are two forms to fill out. The forms are found here: http://davislodge.org/lodge-documents/. There is a nomination form – any Odd Fellow or Rebekah in good standing may nominate a worthy and eligible candidate. And there is a simple application form to be completed by the young man or woman applying for the funds. Note that the deadline for receipt of these forms is March 1, 2016.
The forms lay out the eligibility requirements for scholarships. Nominees must be orphans or foster youth, must be at least 18 years of age at the time they enter college/university, must be U.S. citizens, must have attained at least a B+ average upon high school graduation, and must be accepted to an accredited college/university or a legitimate junior college and entering as a freshman. If you know of a worthy and qualified candidate, you should follow up.
7. Odd Fellows Classic Film Committee Continues. The Odd Fellows Classic Film Committee has scheduled the next series of classic films, at screenings open to the public. Movie reviewer and critic Derrick Bang will give you the back-story for each film. The next series will screen classic Hollywood screwball comedies, featuring Cary Grant: Topper, Bringing Up Baby, and His Girl Friday. Reserve the dates, all Sunday evenings: January 24 (Topper), January 31 (Bringing Up Baby), and February 7 (His Girl Friday). Doors open each Sunday at 6:29 p.m. and the film starts rolling at 7:01 p.m. (odd times, of course). The shows are all free of charge and open to all ages. Donations are welcome. We also feature a full no-host bar for your pleasure. Popcorn is free and plentiful.
8. B Street Theatre Trip. Join the Odd Theatre Committee to Echo Location at the B Street Theatre in Sacramento, February 20th. Make your RSVP with $30 to Ed Lewis before January 20. For more information about the show visit https://bstreettheatre.org/echo-location/
9. Movie Matinee Committee Launches in January. Diane Steele is organizing a “4th Tuesday Matinee Committee” for members and pledges and friends interested in catching a matinee at a Davis movie theater. After the show, participants may gather at a local coffee house, or the new club room at the Lodge, to chat about the film. This new committee launches on Tuesday, January 26, 2016. Contact Diane for details and logistics at email@example.com.
10. Team Baldfellows Fight Cancer. Team Baldfellows is looking for a few brothers and sisters to join our team and “brave the shave!” Our Lodge is organizing a team of Odd Fellows, family, and friends to participate in the St. Baldrick’s head shaving fundraiser at de Vere’s Irish Pub on March 10, 2016, from 5:00pm to 9:00pm. Worldwide, 175,000 children are diagnosed with cancer each year. The St. Baldrick’s head-shaving fundraiser helps support pediatric cancer research for infants, children, teens, and young adults. The Davis Odd Fellows Lodge and our team of “soon to be bald” volunteers can make a difference. Kids can’t fight cancer alone. Please join Team Baldfellows.
Send Vice Grand Stewart Savage an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Davis Odd Fellow Kathy Hemness is leading the charge by already meeting her preliminary fundraising goal of $500 and she isn’t slowing down! She has thrown down the gauntlet and challenges anyone to best her in individual fundraising. Knit caps and scarves to those BaldFellows who manage to exceed her donations.
11. Odd Bowling Rolls Again on February 6. Bob Dovi, Chair of the Odd Bowling Committee, has set up the net bowling excursion. It will be Saturday, February 6, from 11 to 2 at the Capital Lanes in West Sacramento. Last bowling excursion attracted a lot of Odd Fellows, Pledges and guests. We have one bowler (Tony Pruitt) who bowled a 299! But we have plenty of bowlers who operate at a much lower level – in the 110 to 150 range. Contact Bob if you are interested at email@example.com.
12. Golfers, Please Note. The Lodge has an Odd Golfing Committee, and it’s looking to set up some foursomes in the near future. For more information, or to sign up as part of the Odd Golfing Committee, contact Charles Filmer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
13. 2016 Lodge Dues are Now Due. Annual dues to be an Odd Fellow are a reasonable $55. 2016 dues are now due to the Financial Secretary Duff Devine. Checks should be payable to “Davis Odd Fellows”. You mail drop your check in Duff’s Lodge mailbox (near the back door) or mail to Financial Secretary Duff Devine, Davis Odd Fellows Lodge, 415 2nd Street, Davis CA 95616. There is also a new option to pay via PayPal!
Visit http://davislodge.org/membership-renewal/ to pay online. Be sure to include your name as part of the PayPal order.
And thank you! In 2015 we were 100% paid up. Let’s do it again in 2016.