The Davis Odd Fellows Lodge welcomes Noble Grand For 2016 – Jean-Paul Montreuil
Dear Odd Fellows and Pledges,
Sweet! Now it’s my turn to write stuff!
The first thing I would like to say is thank you all again for this opportunity to serve as your Noble Grand. Also, thank you again to Past Grand Lea Rosenberg for her tenure as NG last year.
This NG report is something Past Grand Bob Schelen started in an effort to keep communication flowing among our membership, and I’m happy to keep it going. With hundreds of members, a constant flow of brave pledges, and over 40 active committees, effective communication is an important factor to the performance of our busy lodge. Please let me know if you didn’t get this email.
Finally, I’ll be happy to include any committee’s events in this report. Please send me a brief blurb in the same format as the items below and I’ll hook you up!
1. Our Installation & Awards Dinner. Over 80 Odd Fellows, Pledges and guests attended a dinner in the Upper Hall of the Lodge, and the Installation Ceremony was conducted by Grand Master of California Odd Fellows Dave Rosenberg and Grand Warden of California Odd Fellows Dave Reed (and an awesome job they did too!). New officers were installed: Noble Grand Jean-Paul Montreuil, Vice Grand Stewart Savage, Secretary Jim Smith, Treasurer Janis Rosenberg, and Financial Secretary Duff Devine. Appointed Officers were installed into office, and many of our outstanding members were presented with merit jewels and awards. Look for the whole story soon to be published on www.davislodge.org.
2. Bingo for Team Davis. Second Sunday Bingo on January 10, 2016 benefited Team Davis. An amazing crowd of players started the bingo year off on a high with 111 people in attendance and earning $1,287! The next bingo event will be February 14, 2016 benefiting Davis High School Madrigals.
3. Club Night at the Lodge This Thursday. Club Night at the Lodge- every Thursday from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Lodge, Lower Hall. A great social time for members, pledges and guests. Chicken tacos and more will be available for $7 for those who wish to have dinner at the Lodge. Also, enjoy the big screen TV, the full bar, puzzles and table games, socializing with members and guests, and TRIVIA NIGHT! Presented by the Good Fellowship Committee.
4. Odd Fellows Classic Film Committee Continues. The Odd Fellows Classic Film Committee has scheduled the next series of classic films, at screenings open to the public. Movie reviewer and critic Derrick Bang will give you the back-story for each film. The next series will screen classic Hollywood screwball comedies, featuring Cary Grant: Topper, Bringing Up Baby, and His Girl Friday. Reserve the dates, all Sunday evenings: January 24 (Topper), January 31 (Bringing Up Baby), and February 7 (His Girl Friday). Doors open each Sunday at 6:29 p.m. and the film starts rolling at 7:01 p.m. (odd times, of course). The shows are all free of charge and open to all ages. Donations are welcome. We also feature a full no-host bar for your pleasure. Popcorn is free and plentiful.
5. Music Committee Presents: Dark Side of the Rainbow. Also known as The Wizard of Floyd, we will be experiencing a pairing of the 1973 Pink Floyd album, The Dark Side of the Moon, with the visual portion of the 1939 film, The Wizard of Oz (muted). This controversial mash-up phenomenon came up in conversation recently among committee members when we discovered a pair of ruby slippers in the office before Thursday Live! We’re curious about to the coincidences Pink Floyd refuses to admit they had anything to do with and it’s time for the Music Committee to remind everyone that there’s No Place Like Rock n’ Roll in the Merry Old Odd Fellows Lodge. Plus, it’s much better to experience these things fraternally with beer and wine. Friday, January 15, from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. (viewing to begin at 7pm sharp!) in the lower hall of the Davis Odd Fellows Lodge. Open to members, pledges and their guests.
6. Odd Theatre Committee Presents: Improv Night. The Odd Theatre Committee would like to invite you to Improv Night at the Lodge! Come and probe your theatrical abilities with us! Games, libations, and an all around fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants good time! 6:00 PM, January 20, 2016 in the Lower Hall. Open to Odd Fellow Members, Pledges, Guests- Those Courageous Enough to Brave the Stage, and Those Shy Enough to Sit Back and Laugh.
7. B Street Theatre Trip. Join the Odd Theatre Committee to Echo Location at the B Street Theatre in Sacramento, February 20th. Make your RSVP with $30 to Ed Lewis before January 20. For more information about the show visit https://bstreettheatre.org/echo-location/
8. Movie Matinee Committee Launches in January. Diane Steele is organizing a “4th Tuesday Matinee Committee” for members and pledges and friends interested in catching a matinee at a Davis movie theater. After the show, participants may gather at a local coffee house, or the new club room at the Lodge, to chat about the film. This new committee launches on Tuesday, January 26, 2016. Contact Diane for details and logistics at email@example.com.
9. Odd Bowling Rolls Again on February 6. Bob Dovi, Chair of the Odd Bowling Committee, has set up the net bowling excursion. It will be Saturday, February 6, from 11 to 2 at the Capital Lanes in West Sacramento. Last bowling excursion attracted a lot of Odd Fellows, Pledges and guests. We have one bowler (Tony Pruitt) who bowled a 299! But we have plenty of bowlers who operate at a much lower level – in the 110 to 150 range. Contact Bob if you are interested firstname.lastname@example.org.
10, Golfers, Please Note. The Lodge has an Odd Golfing Committee, and it’s looking to set up some foursomes in the near future. For more information, or to sign up as part of the Odd Golfing Committee, contact Charles Filmer at email@example.com.
11. New Team Heads up Lodge Operations. I leave my post as Noble Grand of the Davis Lodge this week, but I assume a new post as President of the Hall Board Association. The Hall Board is very pleased to announce the new Operations Team for the Lodge Hall, effective January 1. The new Operations Manager is Allison Vickrey and the New Assistant Operations Manager is Jeff Oblinger (Chef Jeff to many of you). Daniela Gutierrez is also helping out in the office as an assistant. One of the new innovations that Allison suggested, adopted by the Hall Board, is that the Conference Room will become a room dedicated to use by our Lodge committees. This should facilitate the needs of our committees.
12. 2016 Lodge Dues are Now Due. Annual dues to be an Odd Fellow are a reasonable $55. 2016 dues are now due to the Financial Secretary Duff Devine. Checks should be payable to “Davis Odd Fellows”. You mail drop your check in Duff’s Lodge mailbox (near the back door) or mail to Financial Secretary Duff Devine, Davis Odd Fellows Lodge, 415 2nd Street, Davis CA 95616. There is also a new option to pay via PayPal! Visit http://davislodge.org/membership-renewal/ to pay online. Be sure to include your name as part of the PayPal order. And thank you! In 2015 we were 100% paid up. Let’s do it again in 2016.