Dear Odd Fellows and Pledges,
1. The Passing of One of Our Lodge Members. I am so sad to say that one of our Lodge members, Mark Breckner, has passed away. This past Saturday, Mark, his wife Debi, and their two young daughters were on their way to the 8 a.m. seating at Breakfast with Santa (they had attended this event regularly for many years) when he collapsed and could not be revived. Mark loved his wife and his daughters, and spent much of his time as a sports coach for them. We have offered Debi our help as needed, and we have offered her the use of our Lodge Hall for a celebration of life and memorial service if she wishes. Mark lived a good life, but way too short. Members of the Lodge can help the family financially through a go-fund-me website: https://www.gofundme.com/BrecknerFamily
2. All Bell-Ringing Slots Are Full. As we do every year, we will be doing bell ringing this year at the Davis Main Post Office on Friday, December 18, starting at 9:15 a.m. and ending at 5 p.m. All the money raised will stay in Yolo County. Thank you, again, Odd Fellows and Pledges, for stepping up to volunteer. We have all slots filled by the following bell ringers: Jeff and Georgia Myers, Janis Rosenberg, Sue Treadwell, Donna Rutan, Kathryn Hemness, Cathy Aubill, Joel Mandel, Duff Devine, Lin Spangler, Dennis Corcoran, Merrie Lee, Mary and Ted Superak, and Bill and Jane Rundquist. THANK you to our volunteers. Once again, Odd Fellows stepped up!
3. Three Degree Night Offered This Wednesday. If you have been initiated into the Lodge and hold your Initiatory Degree, and now want to obtain the remaining three Degrees of an Odd Fellows Lodge (the First Degree or Degree of Friendship, the Second Degree or Degree of Love, and the Third Degree or Degree of Truth), you will have the opportunity to do so on Wednesday, December 16, at 7 p.m. in the Lower Hall of the Lodge (typically, ending before 9 p.m.). This “Three Degree Night” is offered to you by the Membership & Initiation Committee, chaired by Dave Rosenberg. The cost for each degree is typically $10, payable to “Davis Lodge” but in the spirit of the holiday season, we will only charge a discounted $20 to obtain all three degrees on December 16. If you wish to reserve your spot at the Three Degree Night, please contact Dave right away at email@example.com. So far, the following seven members have signed up: John and Diane Knotts, Elizabeth Lasensky, Kevin Sitz, Jeff Oblinger, Ed Lewis, and Timothy Wilkinson.
4. Club Night at the Lodge This Thursday. Club Night at the Lodge is this coming Thursday, December 17, from 5 to about 8 p.m. in the Lower Hall. Dinner will be available for those who wish to purchase it for $7 per person. The menu is roasted chicken with cranberry-pomegranate sauce, orange-mint orzo pasta salad, and mixed green salad. Also, we will offer Trivia again, with prizes. This time the theme of trivia is “Movies/Menus/Music. Your Trivia Master is Dave Rosenberg. Just some good relaxed social time. The bar will be open and the big screen TV will be on. Table games will be set out.
5. Wine Club and Holiday Party This Friday. Please mark your calendars for the next gathering which is our December Wine Club and Lodge Holiday Party. This year it will be at 700 p.m. this Friday, December 18 at the home of Lea and Dave Rosenberg – 1112 Westfield Terrace, Davis. Bring your favorite wine or bubbly to share, and an appetizer to share, as well.
6. A Special Movie Showing This Sunday. Hold open the evening of Sunday, December 20. That’s the evening our Lodge’s Classic Movie Committee will offer you a special showing of the holiday comedy classic: “A Christmas Story” [you’ll shoot your eye out] in the Lower Hall of the Lodge. This special showing is only open to members, Pledges, family and their guests. The movie is fun for all ages. This is a family-friendly event and we encourage you to bring the kids! Only a few chairs will be set up so you are asked to bring sleeping bags, pillows, blankets, bean bag chairs or lawn chairs. It’s going to be a big, fun sleep in. We will have popcorn and hot apple cider. Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. and the movie will start at 6:00 p.m. For more information or questions contact Dave Rosenberg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. New Year’s Eve Party with Mumbo Gumbo. This was such a great success in 2014, we are doing it again! Our Lodge’s 2nd Annual New Year’s Party with Mumbo Gumbo is open to the public and is our way of helping the community welcome 2016 in style. The party starts on December 31 and ends on January 1. Doors open at 8:00 p.m. and the music starts at 9:30 p.m. Lots of fun music suitable for dancing; light fare of gumbo and corn bread will be available, no host bars will be open. Tickets are $50 each – tickets are now on sale at Avid Reader Active, or you may purchase them on line at www.showclix.com/event/MumboGumbo1231. Juelie Roggli is the overall coordinator of the event and you can contact her at email@example.com. Coordinating Lodge volunteers to help at the event is Mary Superak who can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only 225 tickets are available for this popular event, and they are on sale right now.
8. Volunteers for the Picnic Day Float? Even though Picnic Day is not until April 16, 2016, our Lodge’s Picnic Day Float Committee, chaired by Janis Rosenberg and James Bledsoe, is already submitting registration forms and planning for our Lodge Float. In 2015, our Lodge float one won one of the top prizes in the parade, and the committee is determined to do it again. Plus, the committee members have a lot of fun, with potlucks and other activities, while building the float. If you are interested in joining the Picnic Davy Float Committee, please contact Janis Rosenberg at email@example.com.
9. Chocolate Festival, Anyone? We are at the beginning stages of organizing the Davis Chocolate Festival for next year. Any member or pledge interested in helping organize this event – which we hope will become a signature event of the Lodge – is welcome to join the Chocolate Festival Committee. If you are interested, please contact Mary Superak at firstname.lastname@example.org or Kurt Roggli at Kurtroggli@gmail.com.
10. Final Call for a Chair for the Breakfast with the Bunny Committee. Our Lodge has organized and hosted the annual Breakfast with the Bunny (BWB) for five years now, and I have chaired or co-chaired this event every year. It’s time for me to pass the torch to a new chair. In 2016, BWB will be held on Saturday, March 26. I am looking for a volunteer or two volunteers to take over as chair or co-chairs. I will impart all knowledge to the new chair or co-chairs. Who wants to take over this very fun activity for the community’s children? Let me know! This is the last call. If no one steps up, we will have to cancel the event for 2016.
11. Important Date: January 9. Mark your calendar for an important date: Saturday, January 9, 2016. The Lodge will hold its first meeting of the new year on that day – breakfast served at 8:45 a.m. and the meeting will begin at 9:30 a.m. Also, that evening we will have our annual Installation & Awards Dinner at the Lodge. You won’t want to miss it. I have attached the event flier to this report (not the RSVP date of January 5).
12. A Final BWS Thank You. This was our TENTH year of hosting Breakfast with Santa. Once again, it was a great success. Thank you, thank you, thank you to all our Lodge volunteers. Special thanks to Jeff Oblinger and the cooks. And special thanks to Debbie Friend – her stage decor was, once again, the hit of the show. And ultimate thanks to our jolly Santa (aka Doug Hatton) and Santa’s chief of staff, Margee Hatton.