Dear Odd Fellows and Pledges,
1. Next Lodge Meeting Is This Wednesday. Mark your calendars for the next Lodge meeting which is our Fourth Wednesday Evening meeting, July 22 – this coming Wednesday. Social hour starts at 6:15 p.m. and the meeting will begin at 7 p.m. This should be a short, fun, and informative meeting, and we hope to see many of you in attendance. I have attached the Minutes from our last meeting, prepared by Secretary Pro Tem Joel Mandel – thank you Joel. Snacks for our social hour will be provided by Dennis Corcoran – thank you, Dennis.
2. No Club Night This Thursday. We are on a reduced schedule for the summer – so no Club Night at the Lodge this coming Thursday, July 23. Club Night returns on July 30 with “pizza night”.
3. Another Committee Has Formed. Our 39th Committee has recently formed! Thank you to Dave Rosenberg for organizing the “Adopt-a-Highway Committee”. Dave has secured a site for us to adopt a portion of Highway 113, just north of Davis for litter removal, and eventually wildflower planting. We are doing our part for the environment. And yes, we will have a sign on the highway that says “Davis Odd Fellows” along with our three links logo in full color. Chair of this new committee is Sheryl Cambron, and Kumar Sah is Co-chair. We already have 16 members and pledges signed up to help on this committee! If you wish to join the fun and help the environment, contact Sheryl at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. “Oddly Crushed” Wine Available This Wednesday. Yes, the Davis Lodge now has it’s own wine with our own unique label. Our “Oddly Crushed Wine” will be available for the first time this Wednesday at the Lodge meeting! Thank you to Dody Black who had the idea, selected the wines, and arranged to make all this happen. And also a thank you to Janis Rosenberg who designed the nifty label. Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon is available for $9 per bottle, or a 6-pack for $45, or a case for $84 (the case price works out to $7 per bottle). We will also have Zinfandel for $10 per bottle, $51 for a six-pack and $96 for a case. Please return the bottles after use because we can re-use the wine bottles (after sterilization) – this avoids a $1 per bottle charge.
5. Sign Up Now for the Children’s Shopping Spree. One of the most heart-warming things we do is the annual “Children’s Shopping Spree.” We need members and pledges over 21 years of age to help children “shop” for back-to-school clothes at JC Penny’s in Woodland. This year we can shop for 78 boys and girls. The money for clothing is donated to each child from the bell-ringing that was done in December. The shopping spree is Saturday, August 22, starting at 7:30 a.m. (at JC Penny’s in Woodland at the County Fair Mall) and ending around 9:30 a.m. The children also each get a backpack filled with school supplies, donated by the Davis Rebekah Lodge. If you wish to volunteer to help a child shop on August 22, please contact Lindsay at email@example.com and let her know you are a volunteer from the Davis Odd Fellows Lodge. Also, if you can’t volunteer, another way to help is to purchase $25 JC Penny gift cards (which you can get at Safeway and other places). Give me the gift cards, and I will get them to Lindsay.
6. Annual BBQ Coming Up. Every year the staff at our wonderful retirement campuses (in Saratoga and Napa) put on a great BBQ for members, family and friends. Last year, 8 of us traveled to the BBQ and had a good time. This year the BBQ is at the Saratoga Retirement Community from 1 to 4 p.m. It costs $10 per person and the food is great. If you are interested in attending and car pooling, contact me and I will connect the car-poolers.