Dear Odd Fellows and Pledges,
1. Who Said Summer Is a Quiet Time? Certainly, not at the Davis Odd Fellows Lodge. We just had two big events at the Lodge, attracting hundreds of local folks, members and pledges. We continue to have fun as a Lodge and continue to do good works for the community. And we have more fun and community serving events coming up!
2. “Neighbors for Nepal” – A Smashing Success. Our Lodge’s big community fundraiser to help raise money for the earthquake victims in Nepal was an enormous success. Estimates are that 200 neighbors, friends, members and pledges attended. Great food and great music. A mellow time with the members of our Nepalese Community. Local Nepali food was served. Patrons enjoyed Nepali dance, costumes, and musical groups Barry “The Fish” Melton & Friends, Zapata Viejo, According to Bazooka, Drivin’ South & More. Organized by Arun Sen and Dave Reed, several dozen Odd Fellows and pledges helped to make this a success. It is estimated that we netted over $14,000 that will be delivered to the village of Bhotang in Nepal, which was badly damaged in the earthquake. This event was a true expression of F-L-T.
3. 50-Year Concert by the Grateful Dead. Organized by Dave Reed, over 75 folks came to the Lodge on July 5 to watch the big screen TV’s live telecast of the Grateful Dead concert in Chicago. A great time for the Dead Heads among us.
4. Next Lodge Meeting is Wednesday, July 22. Mark your calendars for the next Lodge meeting which is our Fourth Wednesday Evening meeting, July 22. Social hour starts at 6:15 p.m. and the meeting will begin at 7 p.m.
5. Thursday Club Night Will Feature Chef Jeff’s Pulled Pork. Mark your calendars. Club Night at the Lodge, brought to you by the Good Fellowship Committee, will be held this Thursday, July 16, from 5 to 8 p.m. Chef Jeff is stopping by the Lodge from his summertime gig at “Man Camp” to prepare Pulled Pork Sandwiches, Homemade Cole Slaw and Watermelon. The meal is $7 for those who wish to partake. The full bar will be open. The big screen TV will be on.
6. Another Committee Has Formed. Our 39th Committee has just formed! Thank you to Dave Rosenberg for organizing the “Adopt-a-Highway Committee”. Dave has secured a site for us to adopt a portion of Highway 113, just north of Davis for litter removal, and eventually wildflower planting. We are doing our part for the environment. And yes, we will have a sign on the highway that says “Davis Odd Fellows” along with our three links logo in full color. Chair of this new committee is Sheryl Cambron, and Kumar Sah is Co-chair. We already have 16 members and pledges signed up to help on this committee! If you wish to join the fun and help the environment, contact Sheryl at email@example.com.
7. “Oddly Crushed” Wine Available Soon. Yes, the Davis Lodge will soon have its own wine label. Please see the attached photo of our new “Oddly Crushed” wine, brought to you through the Hall Board and the work of Dody Black. We will have our own label on Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon. Other varietals will come thereafter. We hope this wine will be available for sale starting at the July 22 Lodge meeting. You can purchase a bottle for $9, or a 6-pack for $45, or a case for $84 (the case price works out to $7 per bottle). We hope it will also become our house wine to be sold by the glass.
8. Sign Up Now for the Children’s Shopping Spree. One of the most heart-warming things we do is the annual “Children’s Shopping Spree.” We need members and pledges over 21 years of age to help children “shop” for back-to-school clothes at JC Penny’s in Woodland. This year we can shop for 78 boys and girls. The money for clothing is donated to each child from the bell-ringing that was done in December. The shopping spree is Saturday, August 22, starting at 7:30 a.m. (at JC Penny’s in Woodland at the County Fair Mall) and ending around 9:30 a.m. The children also each get a backpack filled with school supplies, donated by the Davis Rebekah Lodge. If you wish to volunteer to help a child shop on August 22, please contact Lindsay at firstname.lastname@example.org and let her know you are a volunteer from the Davis Odd Fellows Lodge. Also, if you can’t volunteer, another way to help is to purchase $25 JC Penny gift cards (which you can get at Safeway and other places). Give me the gift cards, and I will get them to Lindsay.