Dear Odd Fellows and Pledges,
1. Busy Day Today. Don’t think we’re taking a “day off” today just because it’s Sunday! We still have two events at the Lodge today (November 9) and you are all cordially invited. At 12 noon the doors of the Lodge open to our monthly Bingo for the community, and Bingo games start at 1 p.m, usually ending around 4 p.m. We have been hosting Bingo for the community now for over 7 years – and have contributed well over $50,000 to community and charitable groups. This month the beneficiary is Food Bank Farms. Then at 6:30 p.m. tonight the doors open to our Classic Film Festival, and the show begins at 7 p.m. Tonight the featured film is the classic western, “Stagecoach” with John Wayne is his first starring role. Come by the Lodge and kick back – admission is free, popcorn and drinks are available at the bar.
2. Breakfast with Santa Tickets Available Soon. Many of you have been asking. Starting this Friday, November 14, tickets go on sale for our annual Breakfast with Santa. Tickets can be purchased for $9 per person (adult or child) at Avid Reader Active and Common Grounds. And they go fast. This year, Breakfast with Santa is December 13. Thank you again to the world’s best Santa – Doug Hatton (and Mrs. Santa, Margee Hatton).
3. Would You Like to Sponsor Breakfast with Santa? Every year, we obtain a number of sponsors to help support this event. As a sponsor, you will be recognized in our press releases, publicity, programs, and posters before and during the event. We already have some Odd Fellows Lodge sponsors who have contributed $2,269 to sponsor this event: David Cougevan $500, Patric Ashby (and wife) $500, Raquel Silva $500, Dennis Corcoran $169 [clever: this is the Lodge #], Allison Zuvela $100, Joyce Trujillo $100, Beth Dovi $100, John and Elysa Hillis $100, Tim Ainsworth $100, and Lea and Dave Rosenberg $100. Would you like to join this great group? Any contribution of $100 or more will be most appreciated and will support not only the worthy BWS, but also our efforts to help foster kids and those who have recently aged out of the foster care system.
4. Request for Pre-Lit Xmas Trees. We need to decorate the stage for Santa for our Breakfast with Santa. Debbie Friend is the Head of our Design and Decoration Team – and they do a wonderful job. Debbie requests the loan of some pre-lit artificial Xmas trees for the stage – she is looking for 7 1/2 ft., 6 ft, and 5 ft tall trees (but any trees in that range will do). Please contact Debbie if you can lend a tree or two (or clear twinkle lights). Debbie’s e-mail is email@example.com.
5. 36-million Steps and Counting. Past Grand Dave Rosenberg challenged this Lodge to collectively walk around the earth (50 million steps). We are now at over 36 million steps! We are close to being 75% there. When we started we had 51 people signed up to keep track of their steps. Now, only 6 remain in the step count. We need a few more good men and women to sign up to keep track of their steps. It’s easy. Just get a pedometer, or a fitbit, or a vivo, or whatever, and keep track of your daily steps. Once a week, send your total steps for the week to Sharla Cheney (who is tracking this for the Lodge). Sharla can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Evening of Good Fellowship. The Davis Rebekah Lodge and Soroptimist International Club of Davis are sponsoring their annual “Evening of Good Fellowship” at the Lodge on Thursday, November 20, in the Upper Hall, starting at 6 p.m. Interested Odd Fellows are invited. There is no charge. There will be homemade soups and breads, plus a silent auction.
7. Club Night at the Lodge This Thursday, November 13. Don’t forget the weekly Club Night at the Lodge this Thursday , November 13, starting at 5 p.m. in the Lower Hall. This week Chef Julie will prepare her popular Lasagne, Garlic Bread and a Mini-Salad-Bar for $7 for those who wish to partake – dinner is available at 6 p.m. And it’s Trivia Night where I will try my hand as the Trivia Master.
8. Bell Ringing. The Davis Odd Fellow’s assigned date for bell ringing this year is Friday, December 19, from 9 to 5 at the Main Davis Post Office. The funds raised support the children’s shopping spree where Davis kids from very low income families get to shop for school clothes. Your shift will be one hour and we have two people per shift. Contact me if you are interested in helping. There are only THREE slots left for bell ringers!
9. Odd Poetry is Back this Friday, November 14. From 6 to 7 p.m. this Friday, February 14, Odd Poets meet under the Odd Poet-Tree in front of the Lodge. Come to recite some poetry, and/or come to listen.
10. Wine Club Coming up on November 21. This month the Odd Fellows Wine Club meets on Friday, November 21, starting at 7 p.m. at the home of Chuck White and Carrie Shucker, in Davis. The theme is port wine. Bring your favorite port wine with either an accompanying sweet chocolate dish or savory dish.
11. New Year’s Eve Party at the Lodge. For the first time ever, the Lodge is planning a New Year’s Eve Party, starting on December 31, 2014 and ending on January 1, 2015. Lodge members and the public at large is invited to ring in New Year’s in style at the Odd Fellows Lodge Hall. The popular local group Mumbo Gumbo will be performing! I believe the price will be $40 per ticket. More details will follow in the coming weeks. But for now, mark your calendars!
12. No Meetings Till January. Because of the Thanksgiving and Christmas Holidays and Breakfast with Santa, there are no more meetings of the Lodge scheduled till January 10, 2015. But mark your calendars for some January dates: January 10 (breakfast meeting of the Lodge), January 17 (Installation and Awards Dinner at the Lodge), January 28 (Wednesday evening meeting of the Lodge and Initiation of the Spring 2015 Pledge Class).