Dear Odd Fellows and Pledges,
1. Lodge Meets this Saturday, November 8. Our monthly Saturday morning breakfast meeting is coming up on Saturday, November 8, with breakfast at 8:45 a.m. and the meeting starting at 9:30 a.m. This will be our last meeting of 2014 so make sure you come out for breakfast and the meeting! We have one election to resolve for Trustee: the candidates are Bob Bockwinkel and Sharla Cheney.
2. Odd Fellows Bingo is this Sunday, November 9. This month the Lodge’s active Bingo Committee benefits Food Bank Farmers. This Sunday, November 9, doors open at 12 noon and Bingo begins at 1 p.m. in the Lower Hall. It’s open to the public, and we encourage Odd Fellows and Pledges to come out to play, as well. Have a good time and benefit Food Bank Farmers.
3. Would You Like to Sponsor Breakfast with Santa? As you know, Breakfast with Santa this year is Saturday, December 13. Every year, we obtain a number of sponsors to help support this event. As a sponsor, you will be recognized in our press releases, publicity, programs, and posters before and during the event. We already have some Odd Fellows Lodge sponsors: David Cougevan $500, Patric Ashby (and wife) $500, Raquel Silva $500, Allison Zuvela $100, Joyce Trujillo $100, Beth Dovi $100, John and Elysa Hillis $100, Tim Ainsworth $100, and Lea and Dave Rosenberg $100. Would you like to join this great group? Any contribution of $100 or more will be most appreciated and will support not only the worthy BWS, but also our efforts to help foster kids and those who have recently aged out of the foster care system.
4. Evening of Good Fellowship. The Davis Rebekah Lodge and Soroptimist International Club of Davis are sponsoring their annual “Evening of Good Fellowship” at the Lodge on Thursday, November 20, in the Upper Hall, starting at 6 p.m. Interested Odd Fellows are invited. There is no charge. There will be homemade soups and breads, plus a silent auction.
5. Club Night at the Lodge This Thursday, November 6. Don’t forget the weekly Club Night at the Lodge this Thursday , November 6, starting at 5 p.m. in the Lower Hall. This week Chef Julie will prepare the popular Nacho Bar and Taco Bar for $7 for those who wish to partake – dinner is available at 6 p.m. And it’s Trivia Night with Trivia Masters Jean-Paul Montreuil and Heather Barnes.
6. Thursday Live Music is Back this Thursday, November 6. The Music Committee in November features Jazz and Blues (with Ray “Catfish” Copeland, opening by Ross Hammond) at Thursday Live! at the Lodge – open to the public – starting at 7:30 p.m. – November 6.
7. Bell Ringing. The Davis Odd Fellow’s assigned date for bell ringing this year is Friday, December 19, from 9 to 5 at the Main Davis Post Office. The funds raised support the children’s shopping spree where Davis kids from very low income families get to shop for school clothes. Your shift will be one hour and we have two people per shift. Contact me if you are interested in helping. These bell-ringing slots go fast!
8. Odd Poetry is Back on February 14. From 6 to 7 p.m. on Friday, February 14, Odd Poets meet under the Odd Poet-Tree in front of the Lodge. Come to recite some poetry, and/or come to listen.
9. Wine Club Coming up on November 21. This month the Odd Fellows Wine Club meets on Friday, November 21, starting at 7 p.m. at the home of Chuck White and Carrie Shucker, in Davis. The theme is port wine. Bring your favorite port wine with either an accompanying sweet chocolate dish or savory dish.
10. Classic Movie Fest Starts this Sunday evening. The Davis Odd Fellows Classic Movie Festival Committee is back with three more classic films – this time classic Hollywood westerns. The Classic Movie Fest is open to the public, and there is no charge. They will be screened at the Lodge on three successive Sundays in November: 9, 16 and 23. Derrick Bang, the noted film reviewer and critic for the Davis Enterprise, will introduce each film and will give some of the little-known background and back story. The three films are: Stagecoach, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and Cat Ballou. Popcorn, wine, beer and mixed drinks will be available. This Sunday, November 9, doors open at 6:30 p.m. and the classic film Stagecoach will be shown at 7:00 p.m.