Dear Dedicated Members for Change,
How can you tell if your Lodge is in decline? Often it’s not easy to tell if you are right in the middle of it. But there are warning signs. In this regard, I have devised a list of 19 “warning signs” to assist you in determining if your Lodge is operating in the yellow “caution” zone, or the red zone of “danger.” However, this will only work if you honestly assess your own Lodge.
Here are the 19 warning signs. Ascribe one point for each of the following signs if they apply to your Lodge:
1. The Lodge has 20 or fewer dues-paying members.
2. The Lodge has 10 or fewer dues-paying members.
3. The Lodge has had to cancel at least one meeting over the past 12 months due to lack of quorum.
4. Without the attendance of associate members, the Lodge would not have a quorum at some meetings during the last 12 months.
5. The Lodge has no members under the age of 50.
6. The Lodge has no members under the age of 60.
7. The Lodge has no members under the age of 70.
8. The Lodge has no female members.
9. The Lodge has not initiated a new member over the past 12 months.
10. The Lodge has not initiated a new member over the past 24 months.
11. The Lodge has not initiated a new member over the past 36 months.
12. The Lodge has not sponsored a community project over the past 12 months.
13. The Lodge has not sent a representative to the last Grand Lodge Session.
14. The Lodge has not sent a representative to Grand Lodge Session over the past two years.
15. Over the past 5 years, members of the Lodge get recycled into the office of Noble Grand because no one else is available who can or will serve.
16. Over the past 12 months there has been bickering and raised voices at Lodge meetings.
17. The Lodge has no tenants paying rent.
18. The Lodge does not own its Lodge Hall.
19. The Lodge typically submits a late annual per capita report to Grand Lodge.
If your Lodge has 9 or more points on this list of 19, the yellow caution light is blinking. If your Lodge as 13 or more of these 19 items, be aware of the red danger signal.
F – L – T
Past Grand Master
Jurisdiction of California