There is no Lodge in North America that is more active than the Davis Lodge. We do 95% of our work through our various committees. And we have more committees than any other Lodge – currently at 55 committees, and growing. Committees can be divided into three categories: Social Activity Committees which provide a social and fraternal ingredient primarily for members and pledges (for example, the Club Night Committee, Odd Bowling Committee, St Patrick’s Day Party Committee, etc.); Community Serving Committees which focus on service and support to the community outside of the Lodge (for example, the Adopt-a-Highway Committee, the Bingo Committee, the Community Support Committee, etc.); and Operational Committees which are focused on the internal operations of the Lodge (for example, the Finance Committee, the Bylaws Committee, the Membership & Initiation Committee, etc.).
There are a fair number of our committees that overlap these three general categories – for example, the New Year’s Eve Party Committee, the Music and Concerts Committee, and the Chocolate Festival Committee, and others, are both Social Activity and Community Serving Committees. And finally, some of our committees are very active, some are just forming, and some are not very active at all (waiting for members to step up and take charge and resurrect them). New committees can always be formed (for example, we just formed a Ping Pong Committee and the new ping pong table is being delivered to the Lodge this week) if members have an interest, subject to the approval of the Noble Grand.
At the request of the Lodge and the Noble Grand, the Membership & Initiation Committee has compiled a list of our 55 Committees and presents this list, below. We do this so that YOU can find out more information about our committees. You are invited to contact Noble Grand Stewart Savage or Chair of the Membership & Initiation Committee Dave Rosenberg if you are interested in joining a committee or if you want more information about a committee. We will be happy to connect you to the Chair or Co-Chair of the committee or make sure your inquiries are answered. Many of our committees could use new members! For example, our Bingo Committee is always looking for new members to train and to run our once-per-month Bingo for the community.
- Here is the list of the Davis Lodge Committees, and a brief explanation of each Committee’s function. Currently, the Lodge has 55 Committees, as follows:
- Adopt-a-Highway – Once per month or every two months cleanup of a 1-mile stretch of Hwy 113, near Davis.
- Bell Ringing – Once per year during the Christmas holiday, the committee organizes a bell-ringing team for the Salvation Army.
- Bingo – Once per month on the second Sunday, this committee puts on Bingo at the Lodge for the public, with proceeds going to a charity or community group.
- Breakfast with the Bunny – Breakfast and crafts and an egg hunt is provided to 100 children during the Easter holiday, and the kids get to meet “The Bunny.”
- Breakfast with Santa – In December this committee organizes breakfast with “Santa” for 360 children and parents.
- Bylaws – This committee reviews and processes any changes to our Bylaws, as requested.
- Children’s Sunday Movie Matinee – Movies for children are shown once every month or two, free and open to the public.
- Chocolate Festival – An annual November fundraising event at the Lodge featuring all things chocolate, with vendors, demonstrations, food and drink.
- Cigar Lounge – Cigar enthusiasts gather once a month to smoke fine cigars and discuss issues of the world.
- Classic Film Festival – Twice each year (in the Spring and in the Winter) this committee shows a trilogy of classic films on Sunday evenings, free and open to the public.
- Club Night – Weekly social gathering on Thursday nights at the Lodge with food, drink and trivia, open to members, pledges and their guests.
- Community Support – This committee meets by e-mail to consider requests from community groups for co-hosted events, purchase of tickets and donations.
Communications & Website – Runs our Lodge website and is involved with internal Lodge communications.
- Finance – Once or twice each year, audits the Treasurer and Financial Secretary of the Odd Fellows Lodge.
- FLT (Fine Liquor Tasting) – This new committee is organized by those who enjoy the tasting of fine spirits.
- Gaming Committee – Once each week this committee organizes gaming nights at the Odd Fellows Lodge.
- Good Fellowship – This committee organizes occasional fun events for the members, such as wine country trips.
- Golf – This committee caters to those members who wish to golf on local courses, typically once per month weather permitting.
- Halloween Party – Organizes the yearly October Halloween Party at the Lodge with costumes and music.
- Historical – In charge of historical displays and historical items at the Lodge.
- Holiday Caroling – Once each year during the Christmas Holiday, this committee goes caroling to a local Senior facility.
- Homeless Assistance – This committee considers ways we can help the homeless.
- Horseshoe Throwing – For those who like to occasionally toss horseshoes, this committee is a must.
- Installation & Awards Banquet – This committee organizes the annual installation and awards banquet, held in January.
- Lodge Anniversary – This committee will organize our annual “birthday” of the Lodge (the month we were chartered), which occurs in April.
- Movie Matinee – This committee meets on the 4th Tuesday of the month to view a film at a local movie house.
- Membership & Initiation – This committee is in charge of membership development and the Pledge program.
- Music & Concerts – Organizes music venues at the Lodge, including the monthly Thursday Live! held on the second Thursday of every month.
- New Year’s Eve Party – Organizes the annual “New Year’s Eve” party held on December 31 -January 1 with music, food and drink, open to the public.
- Odd Bowling – Those who enjoy to bowl join this committee – with monthly bowling outings.
- Odd Needle Craft – Experienced or amateur needle workers flock to this committee and their monthly meetings, second Monday of every month.
- OddtoberFest – Organizes the annual OddtoberFest at the Lodge in the Fall.
- Photography – In charge of taking photos at Lodge events for publication.
- Picnic Day Float – Plans and builds our annual float for entry in the Picnic Day Parade, in April – busy building schedule January to April.
- Picnic Day Breakfast – Organizes the annual Picnic Day Breakfast at the Lodge in April, open to the public.
- Ping Pong – A new committee, dedicated to those who like table tennis.
- Publicity – In charge of advertising and publicizing our Lodge events.
- Running with the Turkeys – Once a year run/walk event in Woodland during Thanksgiving.
- Saturday Morning Breakfast – This committee plans and cooks our 2nd Saturday breakfast at the Lodge, every month.
- Scholarship – This committee has a budget and can provide scholarships to deserving members/children/grandchildren.
- Senior Project – This committee helps frail seniors with projects in their homes, as needed.
- Social Services – Assists those in need, particularly those with mental illness, and assists at the Food Bank.
- Sports – Members of this committee go to local and regional sporting events every month.
- St. Patrick’s Day Party – Organizes the annual St. Patrick’s Day party in March, with food and drink.
- Talent Show – Organizes an annual “talent show” of members, displayed during club night.
- Team Bald-fellows – Once each year, shaves heads to raise money for cancer research.
- Take a Hike – For those who enjoy to hike, this committee organizes monthly treks, weather permitting.
- Taste of Davis – Our big annual April fundraiser at the Lodge, featuring food and drink for the public.
- Texas Hold ’em Tournament – A new committee which will organize a poker tournament in the Fall of 2018.
- Thanksgiving Turkey Dinner – Another new committee that will organize an annual Thanksgiving Potluck dinner at the Lodge.
- Theater – This committee travels to local venues to enjoy theater and shows.
- Vice Grand’s Visitation – Organized by the Vice Grand, this committee schedules visits to other Odd Fellows Lodges.
- Visiting – This committee is in charge of visiting members who are sick or in distress, or sends flowers and plants.
- Wine Club – This committee organizes monthly wine tasting gatherings at the homes of members.
- Zymurgy – Those interested in the art of brewing beer will enjoy this committee.
F – L – T
Chair, Membership & Initiation Committee
Davis Odd Fellows Lodge #169